Saturday, April 19, 2008

DOUBLE POST??!!!!111!!@@!!

During the Week I started working on a Mod for the Source Engine. Deus Ex: Source. I'm thinking of releasing it episodically. It's very early on obviously. Not much work needs to be done in terms of level planning, since it's all there, same for artwork. Basically, it's a big face lift. Deus Ex is 10 years old now, but it still holds up pretty well. I've started out mapping the Pier you start on, and I'm working my way through the level. I've not gone into detail texturing yet, I'm just orange mapping it with dev textures so I can work on getting the layout and game play done before I go into detail.

Apart from the basic level design, I'm putting in a few little extras, nothing game changing, just little areas here and there. Really open up the world. Something I noticed in Deus Ex is that theres alot of trickery going on. for instance, the level with the Bar in it, the outside of the Bar is smaller than the Inside, but it's really well masked, so unless like me, you're looking for things like this, you wouldn't notice it. Same thing with the SuperTanker. The Source engine is less limited for size, so I can really go into detail, and make everything the size it should be.

The place I fall down with this is Coding, Textures, and Modeling. I can model basic stuff, but I can't UV map it, I can't model organic stuff like characters either. I can make basic textures, but nothing too professional looking. As far as coding goes, I kind of understand the theory behind it, but I cant actually program anything. I need an Inventory System. Also, since Deus Ex was an RPG as well as an FPS, I also need a leveling and experience system. Plus, if I'm thinking of releasing episodically, I need a way of it keep the stats between chapters.

I'm sure I can find someone, so for now, how some screenshots.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might be able to help out with the modeling and texturing, but you'll have to figure out ho to get it into the source engine.

You might be able to get Marcus to help as well he's been on about do something like this for a while, Liz too...

I'll see you tomorrow anyway ;)
Bod