Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Mmmmmm... Christmas

Well, seeing as it was me who wanted one, Scan ran out of 8800GT's, so I got the money to buy one when they come back in stock. Which happens to be now. So, With the money for that, and some extra money I got from family, I'm buying an XFX 8800GT Extreme, which has the pre-overclocked Memory, GPU core, and Shader Clock. Should run Crysis nicely. I'm also buying a new 700Watt Arctic Power PSU. It has Dual 22Amp rails, and another rail which I forget the ampage on, but it's the Dual rail which matters to me. The 8800 needs a combined ampage of 26A across all rails, so the 44 + whatever from the other will work nicely.

I'm also buying a new case. It's a really nice case, an Antec Nine Hundred. I was toying between a Cooler Master Stacker, an Antec P182 or 180, or the Nine Hundred. I decided on the Nine Hundred. I've got a P180 sitting in my room which belongs to my mum's boyfriend, which at some point, will come out of the box, and turn into an epic gaming rig. I like it, but I don't really want to open the front to access my drives. So I went against that. The Stacker has a £140 price tag, so that's out of the question, and according to alot of reviews, the Nine Hundred is a very nice case. I like it alot, and the deep blue L.E.D's on the 2 f
ront 120mm fans look cool. Most coloured fans look cheap and nasty, but these are nice, they're a very deep blue, and aren't too bright or over the top. It also has a side window which looks pretty cool. It has a 200mm fan on the top too. and has a nice big inside volume, with separate cages for the PSU, HDD's and main component's. So cooling is very good.



I was also given Crysis, which I've been playing. I really like it. The game area's are huge compared to Farcry, and even on lowest detail, it still looks fantastic. My frame rate in huge gunfights in the middle of forests are questionable, but given the age of my current system, it's still pretty impressive, and mostly playable. I'm ooking forward to Unreal Tournament 3, World in Conflict and Quake War's, which I'll be purchasing tomorrow. Then, in the coming weeks, I'll upgrade my Mother Board, RAM, and Processor. I've got my eye on a Core 2 Duo E6850. It's a damn good piece of kit, and is the best money can buy without jumping into the small fortune range.

No comments: